Under the High Patronage of His Majesty King Mohammed VI (may God protect him), the Union of Arab Chambers (UAC), and the University of Moroccan Chambers of Commerce, Industry, and Services, are organizing in cooperation with the League of Arab States, the UNIDO Investment and Technology Promotion Office - Bahrain, and the Arab Organization for Agricultural Development, a conference and exhibition on Arab food security, entitled: "Food Industries and their Role in Achieving Food Security", in Marrakech, Kingdom of Morocco, on 2-3 October 2023. The conference will be accompanied by an exhibition on food industries and a number of activities and workshops on capacity building for entrepreneurs and small and medium enterprises working in the field of food industries.
The conference comes in light of the challenges facing the entire world and the Arab world in food security due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the war in Ukraine, and climate change, which led to the deterioration of global food security levels. The latest statistics indicate that 868 million people do not have enough food, while 25 countries around the world have been considered in deteriorating and high-risk situations. The surge in agricultural fertilizer prices has contributed to lower crop production around the world. Whereas, the people in developing countries suffer the most from high food prices, especially in Africa and the Arab world, where a large part of their income is spent on food.
Whilst there is no longer a choice between traditional and modern methods, the only option today for the Arab world is to adopt sustainable farming methods and take advantage of modern technologies and smart farming techniques enabled by agricultural technology and the Fourth Industrial Revolution to deal with climate challenges, limited resources, promote production and efficiency properly.
The conference will be held as a continuation of the previous seven conferences organized by the Union of Arab Chambers as part of its unceasing efforts to enhance the role of the Arab private sector in investing in achieving Arab food security based on modern concepts and technology. As well as the dynamism of the private sector and its ability to keep pace with developments in the fields of sustainability and technology to enhance production and food safety.
The 8th session of this conference will be held in the Kingdom of Morocco in light of the development and economic renaissance it is witnessing, and the great progress it has made in the agricultural fields, especially food ones. The Kingdom of Morocco is characterized by important elements in agriculture, livestock, fisheries, and food processing thanks to its fertile agricultural soil, advanced industrial base, strategic location, and advanced transportation network. This qualifies it to play an important role in diversifying production and marketing, as well as its importance as a major logistical hub for manufacturing and export at the Arab and foreign levels.
The Kingdom has adopted the Green Morocco Plan as an ambitious program to transform the use of land into a value-added activity that will make it among the countries exporting agricultural products, especially to the European Union. In addition to the importance of food industries and their role in securing and ensuring industrial sovereignty, and securing wide job opportunities.
The conference aims at:
· Opening more horizons for projects to use modern technology and discoveries and their smart applications in order to modernize the agricultural sectors in Arab countries.
· Learn about the experience of the Kingdom of Morocco in the field of food security and promising investment opportunities, within the framework of the future vision of the country.
· Shedding light on the food security and food processing situation in the Arab world, and reviewing the modern technological alternatives available to approach this pivotal issue through cooperation and integration between all concerned parties with a key partnership from the Arab private sector and in the context of progress in implementing the 2030 SDGs to make agriculture, food, and food systems more sustainable, based on science, technology, entrepreneurship, and innovation, adding to it promoting and encouraging agricultural investments and smart food processing in the Arab world, as well as in green investments, sustainable agricultural solutions and logistics hubs that play a vital role in the food industry supply chain.
· Allow specialists to transfer their knowledge and exchange experiences between Arab and foreign businessmen & experts and Arab and international institutions working in the field of food security and food industries, to learn about the relevant modern technologies, and to activate Arab and international cooperation in these fields.
The two-day conference will take place on the 2nd and the 3rd of October 2023 and includes:
A. Introducing promising investment opportunities in the Kingdom of Morocco, promoting agricultural and food projects, identifying requirements for developing investment legislation, removing obstacles to investment in sectors related to food and water security, and encouraging the use of sustainable and environmentally friendly development methods, food safety and health.
B. Current Situation of Food Security and the Food Industries Sector in the Arab World.
C. Leadership and innovation to achieve sustainable agricultural and food production: Arab and international experiences.
D. Towards an Arab strategy for sustainable development of food security with a major partnership from the private sector.
E. The role of smart and green technology in the development and promotion of the agriculture and food industry sectors.
F. Requirements for promoting the intra-Arab trade in food commodities and products.
G. Impact of climate change, water scarcity and cooperation for adaptation and response.
H. Practices to increase efficiency, and protect the environment using new digital technologies and reduce waste.
Participants to the Conference
The following will be invited to the conference:
· Ministries and competent official authorities in the host country and Arab countries.
· Chambers of Commerce, Industry, and Agriculture in the Arab World.
· Joint Arab-Foreign Chambers.
· Arab and foreign business owners and investors.
· Arab, regional, and international organizations and federations concerned with food security.
· Agricultural, food, industrial, commercial, and investment concerned companies.
· Banks and financial institutions.
Organized & Supported by
· Union of Arab Chambers.
· University of Moroccan Chambers of Commerce, Industry, and Services.
In collaboration with:
· General Secretariat of the League of Arab States.
· Investment and Technology Promotion Office in Bahrain at the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
· Arab Organization for Agricultural Development.
· Meazone Company.
Date and Place of Conference
The conference will be held under the patronage of His Majesty Mohammed VI (may God protect him) on the 2nd and 3rd of October 2023, in Palais des Congrès, Marrakech, Kingdom of Morocco.
The Conference language is Arabic, with simultaneous interpretation into French and English.
Please direct all correspondence to:
· General Secretariat of the Union of Arab Chambers
Address: P.O. Box 11-2837 Beirut, Republic of Lebanon
Tel/Fax: (00961 1) 826020-2
· University of Moroccan Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Services
6 Rue Erfoud, Hassan, Rabat
In the event that an entry visa to Morocco is required, it is available online via the Internet, e-visa, for holders of a Schengen visa or a United States of America visa, via the link:
Whoever finds it difficult to obtain a visa, please provide us (on firstname.lastname@example.org) with a clear copy of the passport to send it to the University of Moroccan Chambers to assist in obtaining a visa.
Hôtel Du Golf Rotana Palmeraie (conference venue) - 190 USD
For reservations: email@example.com
Hotel Riad Ennakhil (close to the conference venue) - 120 USD
Anas LACHQAR - Sales Director
Tel : +212 5184.108.40.206 Fax : +212 524.30.00.77
For reservations: Salesdirector@hotelriadennakhil.com
Date published : 4 July 2023